REPORT: Everton 1-1 Southampton

By SFC Media time Sat 16 Apr Club

Southampton came from behind to earn a 1-1 draw at Everton, but saw their long wait for a win at Goodison Park continue.

Ronald Koeman's side, who have not won away to the Merseyside club since 1997, needed a 76th-minute Sadio Mané goal to cancel out Ramiro Funes Mori's second-half opener.

Saints dominated much of the game against an Everton side weakened by suspension and injury, but they could not translate that into what would have been a valuable three points in the chase for Europe.

However, they did enough to earn a draw that, at least for now, keeps them in seventh position in the Barclays Premier League table.

Koeman named the same starting line-up that beat Newcastle United 3-1 a week previously, with the only change coming on the bench, where Steven Davis returned to replace the injured Charlie Austin.

The opening exchanges were largely uneventful and it wasn’t until the 18th minute that a truly meaningful effort arrived, as Gerard Deulofeu found space down the right and picked out Kevin Mirallas just inside the area with a low, bouncing ball. Mirallas struck it sweetly first-time, but José Fonte got his body in the way to make a tremendous block.

Saints then had a short spell of pressure themselves, as Shane Long clipped a delivery across the face of the six-yard box, just out of the reach of Graziano Pellè, before Dušan Tadić volleyed a loose ball in the area inches over the bar after it dropped to him in space.

Tadić hit the target in the 24th minute, cutting onto his left foot just outside the box, but his low strike was straight at Everton keeper Joel Robles, who made the save.

Saints then suffered a setback seven minutes before half time, as Fonte was forced off. The captain, who had required treatment following an aerial challenge with Arouna Koné shortly beforehand, appeared to be suffering from a head injury. In his place, Koeman sent on Maya Yoshida.

Mané went close moments later, driving past a few Everton players and into the area, before putting his right-footed shot wide of the near post from a tricky position.

Darron Gibson was then booked for bringing down Long 25 yards out, and, from the resulting free-kick, Ryan Bertrand forced an excellent full-stretch stop from Robles.

Saints then went even closer in added time at the end of the half, as Bertrand’s corner was met at the near post by Long, only for his flicked header towards the far corner to hit the upright and rebound to safety.

Virgil van Dijk then missed a good chance seconds before the whistle, as another Bertrand corner fell to him, only for the centre-half to lash his shot over the bar.

No further changes were made at the break, and the flow of the game remained the same too, as Tadić went so close again to breaking the deadlock, cutting onto his left foot in the area and whipping in a shot that flicked off Gibson’s head and crashed against the bar.

After swapping Seamus Coleman for Callum Connolly, Everton boss Roberto Martínez then sent on Ross Barkley in place of Deulofeu, while Koeman responded by changing Pellè for Davis in the 64th minute.

By this stage, Saints appeared to remain comfortably in control, but they were made to pay for not taking advantage of their chances, as Everton claimed the lead against the run of play.

A corner swung in towards the back post dropped to Funes Mori, whose initial effort was blocked, but the ball rebounded straight back to him and he made no mistake with his second opportunity, firing a low shot through a crowd of bodies and past Fraser Forster.

Koeman then sent on Jay Rodriguez for Wanyama, before seeing his side respond impressively, as they quickly levelled the score.

Tadić burst into the right side of the area in the 76th minute, beating a few players in the process, before forcing the ball across the six-yard box, where Mané stormed in to finish.

Saints nearly took the lead shortly after, as Long broke free down the inside-right and cut the ball back for Rodriguez in space, but Funes Mori made a superb interception to deny him, before Robles saved well at his near post from Rodriguez shortly afterwards.

The visitors continued to probe away after that, but could not create another clear-cut opening, as they had to settle for a point.

Everton (4-4-1-1): Joel Robles; Seamus Coleman (Callum Connolly 54), John Stones, Ramiro Funes Mori, Bryan Oviedo; Gerard Deulofeu (Ross Barkley 64), Muhamed Besić, Darron Gibson (Tom Davies 82), Leon Osman (c); Kevin Mirallas; Arouna Koné. Unused substitutes: Tim Howard (GK), Romelu Lukaku, Oumar Niasse, Steven Pienaar.

Goal: Funes Mori (68).

Booked: Gibson.

Southampton (4-4-2): Fraser Forster; Cuco Martina, José Fonte (c) (Maya Yoshida 38), Virgil van Dijk, Ryan Bertrand; Dušan Tadić, Jordy Clasie, Victor Wanyama (Jay Rodriguez 72), Sadio Mané; Shane Long, Graziano Pellè (Steven Davis 64). Unused substitutes: Maarten Stekelenburg (GK), Cédric, Oriol Romeu, James Ward-Prowse.

Goal: Mané (76).

Booked: Rodriguez.

Referee: Craig Pawson.

Sport Republic announces organisational changes

Sport Republic announces organisational changes

Statement from the club's ownership.

timeMon 22 May
John Flood: 1932-2023 A statement from our owners Video: Spacey-Cale reflects on debut season video05:38
Women's First Team

Video: Spacey-Cale reflects on debut season

Marieanne Spacey-Cale talks through first Championship season.

Livramento on never losing confidence Edozie and Young Lions kickstart U20 World Cup campaign