Hull City vs Southampton

By SFC Media time Sat 01 Nov

REPORT: Hull City 0-1 Southampton

Victor Wanyama's stunning strike just two minutes in was enough to earn Saints a fourth-straight win with a 1-0 victory against Hull City at the KC Stadium.

Ronald Koeman's side were made to work hard for their three points by the Tigers, but they held on to make it 22 points from their opening ten league games.

Wanyama’s third goal of the season came in spectacular fashion just two minutes in. Hull goalkeeper Eldin Jakupovic cleared the ball straight to the midfielder 40 yards from goal, and he curled it home brilliantly first time.

Substitute Sadio Mané had a great chance to wrap it, but just as was the case in Saints' last league outing against Stoke City, one goal was enough to make it wrap up all three points.

Koeman made two changes from Wednesday night’s Capital One Cup success, both at the back, with Toby Alderweireld and Ryan Bertrand replacing Florin Gardos and Matt Targett. Mané was back involved, having missed out on Wednesday, taking his place on the bench meaning Shane Long continued in attack against his former club.

For the home side, who came into the game on the back of two away draws at Arsenal and Liverpool, made one change following the point at Anfield, with Paul McShane replacing Alex Bruce in defence.

The game was barely three minutes old when Wanyama produced a moment of magic to put Saints in the lead.

Jakupovic’s clearance fell straight to the Kenyan international, who from 40 yards out, hit a first time strike that looped over the Tigers goalkeeper into the unguarded net.

It was a dream start for Saints, but Steve Bruce’s side responded well to the early set-back, and almost levelled proceedings in the tenth minute. Mohamed Diamé played a neat one-two with Robbie Brady and crossed well, but Ryan Bertrand was on hand at the back post to clear the danger.

Hatem Ben Arfa then tested Fraser Forster from 20 yards, but the Saints goalkeeper was behind the ball and able to make a comfortable save.

At the other end, Long, up against the club he spent part of last season with, was looking to build on his goal against Stoke City on Wednesday and he went close twice in the first half.

With 30 minutes gone, Graziano Pellè played the ball over the top for Long to dash onto, and with Jakupovic caught in two minds whether to come or go, the striker tried a looping header that drifted wide of the target.

Soon after, Steven Davis played Long through on goal but this time, as he tried to dink the ball over Jakupovic, the Hull City goalkeeper made a smart save.

With just over ten minutes gone of the second half, Davis himself almost doubled Saints’ advantage. Pellè’s overhead kick fell kindly for the midfielder as he ran into the box, but Jakupovic was able to turn the ball to safety.

Koeman made his first change with just under half-an-hour remaining, with Mané coming on to replace Long, and the winger had a great chance to make it 2-0.

Dušan Tadić did well to beat his man down the right and put in a dangerous cross that found Mané, but the winger was only able to turn it over the bar from close range.

Hull pushed forward, but were never really able to test Forster, as Saints made it six league clean sheets in all and ten wins from their last 11 games in all competitions.

Hull City: Jakupovic, McShane (Aluko 64), Davies (c), Chester, Elmohamady, Huddlestone, Diame, Livermore, Brady (Quinn 82), Ben Arfa (Robertson 74), Hernandez. 

Substitutes not used: Watson (GK), Rosenior, Meyler, Maguire.

Southampton: Forster, Clyne, Fonte (c), Alderweireld, Bertrand, Wanyama, Schneiderlin, S. Davis, Tadić (Cork 81), Long (Mané 62), Pellè. 

Substitutes not used: K. Davis (GK), Yoshida, Gardos, Mayuka, Reed.

Goal: Wanyama (2)

Referee: Martin Atkinson

Attendance: 22,828 (1,479 away fans)